-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 10:35 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Wednesday, December 10, 2003, 11:09:27 AM, Gene Gurevich ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
GG> Someone told me that Oracle is planning to retire char
GG> variable and therefore they need to be replaced by
GG> varchar2. Has anyone heard anything about it?

I've not heard anything like this. I'm skeptical that it's
true. The ANSI standard defines a fixed-length type
analogous to CHAR, so phasing out CHAR would seem to take
Oracle in a direction *away* from the standard, and that
seems out-of-character. Lately, Oracle seems to have
emphasized compliance with the SQL standard.

Would it even make sense to dispense with CHAR? I admit,
I've never found it too useful, but I'm sure there are
applications that use it. Any phase-out would surely need to
take place over a very long period of time.

What good reasons might an application have to use and
depend on CHAR variables?

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are
http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one
article on Oracle technologies per month by
email. To join, visit
http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article,
or send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.

Author: Jonathan Gennick

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS