On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> oracle literature is really lacking in entry level docs anyway. The concepts
> document is way too large to be digestable by someone new to the topic.
>
> What we really need is:
>
> simple SQL book for newbies
  - O'Reilly's Mastering Oracle SQL?
    (It starts out from the basics, and moves at a rapid pace, but it's very
     well done, IMO. 312 pages)

> simple PL/SQL book for newbies
  - O'Reilly's Learning Oracle PL/SQL?
    (Not quite as imposing as Oracle PL/SQL Programming, and just a bit over
    400 pages.)

> Architecture book
  - O'Reilly's Oracle Essentials: Oracle9i, Oracle8i & Oracle8?
    (381 pages)

> automatic features
  - Not sure...might be covered a bit in the previous title.

I guess altogether that's pushing 1000 pages, but between those three books, there's
probably a lot of good information. (I'm a major O'Reilly fan, if you couldn't
tell...). Once they've digested these, Milsap & Holt would be next in the list of
course ;-).

> Beginning Oracle Programming by Kyte, et all took a stab at this but they included
> WAY too much information and some sections are unreadable(the pl/sql chapters are
> terrible).
>
> Any newbie book should be 400 pages maximum. People get intimidated by large books
> when they are new.

For most of these 'simple' databases though, do people really need to get into PL/SQL?
Or would SQL itself be enough for most of these tasks? If so you could drop the PL/SQL
book off the list and you're down 400 pages.

-- Dan
   Daniel Hanks - Systems/Database Administrator
   About Inc., Web Services Division
Author: Daniel Hanks