On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I will try to get the output of v$system_event and will send it you guys. In the
> mean time I have more question..
>
> I am reading Cary's 'Optimizing Oracle Performance Book'. I am half way thru and
> over looked rest of the chapters but didnt find an easy way to analyze thousands of
> lines trace file. I am not very good in analyzing big trace files and wondering how
> you guys analyze do that. Do you do it manually or use any tool to get summarized
> report. I didnt see anything in that book. I am also planning to take class from
> HotSos in Feb, 2004 in Seattle to see if that will help. I really appreciate all of
> your input.

I brewed up my own (still semi-baked) profiler in Perl. The tricky part is sorting out
the recursive dependencies between db calls, but the rest is pretty straightforward,
and Perl makes chewing up the trace file a snap. Currently it works 'well enough' for
basic traces (w/o a lot of recursive calls) to give me a decent picture of what a
session is doing.

-- Dan
   Daniel Hanks - Systems/Database Administrator
   About Inc., Web Services Division

Author: Daniel Hanks