-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 10:35 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Raj - Thanks for your reply. Were this a consultant, my reply would mirror
yours, and maybe not so diplomatically.
   But basically I manage these databases on behalf of this manager, so when
he asks for "read-only" access, I can't really refuse. And I think he is
pretty competent as a DBA. He says that he prefers to use OEM instead of
Toad.
   What I'm really asking is what could these grants be used for besides
just reading data? If there are other actions that could be done, I could at
least ask him not to perform those actions, so if something bad happens I
have provided an alert ahead of time.
   For those who use OEM in your environment, does the SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE
and SELECT ANY DICTIONARY privileges sound pretty usual for OEM to be able
to scout out the info it needs to paint the pretty displays?
   Yes, I am checking out how this exposes links and what is available on
the other systems the links point to. I have also asked his group not to
create any database links. Fortunately we have relatively few links.
   Again, thanks for your advice.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 7:54 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Dennis,

"select any table" has to be a big no no ... anyone can select from
sys.link$. But I am still trying how OEM can be used for _development_??
what am I missing? As for

One of our groups hired a new consultant and he (claimed to have DBA
background) immediately shot off an email saying he needed "select any
table" and "select catalog role" to do his work. We shot off reply "Thanks
for your email, while we appreciate your requirements for development, the
privileges you are requesting are a tad different than we grant other
developers. However we request that you submit a justification for these
privileges and tell us how your development would be affected without these
and we will accommodate your request". This was 3 months ago and we _still_
haven't heard back.

Raj
----
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at nospamespn dot com
All Views expressed in this email are strictly personal.