From: Jeroen van Sluisdam [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 10:24 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: ora-4030 pga memory allocation running wild

Hi,

I have an ora-4030 problem related to pga memory allocation, at least I have concluded sofar

This program is batch written in pl/sql and after an hour or so it crashes. PGA allocated is slowly exceeding

2Gb and when I  monitor with top I see the process size rising uptill 2 Gb somewhere.

Last week we migrated from on oracle 7 environment where this program ran smoothly for years.

At the same time we migrated the OS also and started with new machines. The ux kernel parameter

for max data segment size is 2Gb.

I had an oracle consultant here for migration and he advised to put pga_aggegrate_target on 250M. Box has

4Gb, shared_pool_size is 250Mb, SGA is almost 800Mb

I issued a tar and Oracle advised me to remove pga_aggegrate_target from the init_file, but because this is production I cannot restart that

easily (online changes are allowed ony from min. value 10M)

I  also tested this program with event :

alter session set events '4030 trace name errorstack level 3'; I found the so called SQL-statement that might be causing this

but explaining this plan gave me an  even better plan than on the oracle 7 environment Oracle support still has to get back to me with

latest things.

This program is clearly running wild on memory. Based on the docs on metalink I lowered the pga_aggegrate_target to 160M

now and I'm testing this right now. Is there any way to protect your system from memory consumption like this case. Are there any

other parameters to consider?

Details: oracle 9.2.0.4 HPUX 11.11, 4Gb phys memory

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen