I think Dave Ensor, at the recent UKOUG conference, called it his "portable tuning kit":

select elapsed_time, cpu_time
 from v$sql
order by elapsed_time;

Mogens

Connor McDonald wrote:

Yep.

Simple example: Even though it seems to be sometimes a
little on the 'random' side, the ELAPSED_TIME column
on V$SQL in v9 is an absolute god send...

Cheers
Connor

--- Mogens_Nørgaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > And I
think it's important to realise that ratios

are useless as a starting point in the tuning process on any system,
not only Oracle. Most OS'es and databases use not instrumented
correctly to deal with response time measurements (makes you wonder: If
response TIME is what matters, how can you then not measure exactly that -
time?) - so in the other worlds (Unix, VMS, Windows, SQL Server, MySQL,
DB2....) people still beleive in the ratios because they have
nothing better.

Mogens

Anjo Kolk wrote:

BCHR tuning is useless as a starting point in the

tuning process.

Anjo.