Michael Abbey once said (I'm paraphrasing here) "the resume and OCP get
you in the door. It's your experience that gets you the job and keeps
you there"

We've had numerous discussions on this list about interview questions.
I've been on interviews where I spent an entire day (9-4) and talked to
11 different people, both non-technical questions and technical ones in
and out of my area of expertise. and this was AFTER a 90 minute phone
technical interview. I've been on interviews where there was no DBA on
site, so the  technical aspect of the interview was more an informal
consulting session (how would you handle this problem, when I could
tell it was one they were currently having)

I'm not interested in how much you've memorized. Or how well you take
standardized tests. I do ask questions that pertain to skill set and
creative thinking.

Unfortunately these days, personnel departments do the initial
screening and they use a keyword search on "college degree" and "OCP".
Wherever possible, I try to do the initial search and interview myself
and THEN pass a candidate along to HR. That way I can at least argue
for someone really good, even if their resume doesn't hit the keywords.

Oh yeah -- how does having a college degree in art history make a
person a better DBA? how does my degree, which is in computer science
but which is 28 years old, have anything to do with current programming
and database work?

And while we definitely need people who know a little about everything
(the "primary care physician" as it were) we still need experts in
specialized areas. I wouldn't necessarily urge people to study lots and
lots of things, that usually ends up meaning they do none of them well.

Okay, can you tell you poked one of my pet peeves? Off the soapbox for
now :)

my $0.02, for what it's worth (which is less and less these days!)

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael