This is the only reasonable policy, because all OS commands would
necessarily execute on the server side. Developers, generally speaking,
do not have access to the database server, so I don't see much use
for that. If the idea is to spawn a command on the developer's workstation
by using "rsh" or "remsh" (HP-UX), then it would require a great
multitude of ".rhosts" files, which would render the whole network
insecure. I did, however, see a reasonable application of external
procedures. Database server was on the same machine as a scanner.
External procedure made it possible for the operator to scan a form,
OCR it, and store it as "BFILE", all from Oracle*Forms on a client.
Essentially, external procedure controlled the scanner and invoked
OCR. Both scanner and PC were out of the computer room, so operator
did not need access to the sensitive facilities.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala