Paul Drake
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 12:49 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Any good doc. on securing data on database on
> internal network behind firewall with an application
> server accessing it in the DMZ.  I am thinking
> Advanced security but would appreciate something on
> this subject.  I have stored some documents on
> security from previous strings but cannot get to my
> folder do to a system issue.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

Hi.

how about some OS and database server version info?
It wouldn't surprise me if SysAdmin Mag has an article
on exactly this.

Will more than just OracleNet traffic need to be
encrypted? If so, then an ssh tunnel (or some other
vpn solution) might make more sense.

One method is entirely physical:

private network (non-virtual)
over
additional NICs + crossover cable

but that would require that you run a firewall on the
server housing the database, as the application server
is in an untrusted network. As it circumvents the
existing firewall, it could get you fired for
violating the site security policy, so it isn't
necessarily a good solution. But its one worth
considering.

I really like using dedicated point to point
connections between app server and database server
where both servers have dual integrated gigabit cards,
no one has coughed up the funds for switched gigabit
ethernet ports and one of the integrated gigabit nics
is unused (for a fat client/server app). but it does
not scale for several hosts.

Pd

Author: Paul Drake

Author: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]