Mladen/Hemant,

>>I should have expressed myself more clearly. Suspend is not necessary,
>>it's only fast. Basically, with suspend, you don't put tablespaces into
backup mode. You
>suspend, resync, split and start aonther instance as if  it crashed.  As no
I/O is
>going to disk, datafiles aren't fuzzy, so no recovery is needed. Problem
with this approach
>is that the original instance is not usable during this time. All sessions
are hanging.
>Benefit is that no recovery is needed and if everything goes OK, you're
done very, very
>quickly. It's either-or approach, not a combination.

I think there is some confusion here... AFAIU (As Far As I Understand!),

(a) A tablespace, and thus related datafiles, need to be in "Hot backup"
mode during an *OS* based backup to cater for split-block inconsistency
(i.e. to cater for the possibility of a generally shorter OS block read NOT
getting the generally larger whole block in a single read just when the DB
block was being updated). The Logwriter then writes *whole* blocks to redo
to avoid this split-block (aka fractured block) problem. This increased redo
logging becomes an issue when backing up a large database (such as an ERP
database). EMC's BCVs, Hitachi's ShadowImage (and other frozen disk copy
technologies) mitigate this problem by providing a snapshot copy of *almost
point in time* sets of disks that contain a hot backup copy of the database.
Both rely on the fact that the subsequent backup is an *OS* based copy (i.e.
outside of Oracle) and that the *whole* database was placed in Hot backup.
The split actually takes a few minutes (or seconds, depending on how it was
done and the amount of activity), and the whole database is in Hot backup
mode *only* at that time. A SUSPEND may possiblly only _reduce_ this split
time. Once the split completes, the Database is taken out of Hot backup mode
and the BCVs/Images are then presented back tp the OS via normal mount so
that a subsequent OS based backup utility (such as Legato or Netbackup) can
back it up to tape. Subsequent 'snapshots' will also require the DB to be
placed in Hot backup mode..
In essence, this technology provides for a slow backup of a large database
that is apparently in hot backup mode without having excessive redo being
generated during the physical backup. A positive side effect is that the
Backup I/O goes against currently non-production disks. As well, these
copies can also be mounted on a backup server connected to the same SAN to
even avoid using production CPU cycles... This concept has remained the same
since V7, going into V8/8.1. and 9i as well, and I daresay it is the same in
10g. The key point is that placing the complete DB in Hot backup mode is a
*requirement* before a BCV/Image split, regardless of the usage of SUSPEND
(and the assumption that I/O is not going to disk at this time).

(b) OTOH, RMAN reads a database file and the blocks therein directly, and
does not need the tablespace to be in backup mode since the DB block is
being read by an *Oracle* process. And since there is no need to place a
database in backup mode, one can use RMAN to backup a large database without
worrying about the excessive redo issue. *However*, since the Oracle process
can read only from a 'live' datafile, RMAN _cannot_ be used with
BCV/ShadowImage. And placing an RMAN backed-up DB in SUSPEND mode will only
aggravate users :)

John Kanagaraj
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Listen to great, commercial-free christian music 24x7x365 at
http://www.klove.com

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **

Author: John Kanagaraj