(1)   delete from a where b = c;

    if(SQL%ROWCOUNT > 0) then
        DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('delete successfully ...' );
    end if;

(2)    update a set b = d where b = c;

    if(SQL%ROWCOUNT > 0) then
        DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('update successfully ...' );
    end if;

sorry, typo.... I meant 'update successfully ...' in (2). I guess what
I meant was if there is any thing in plsql language in *whateverhere*
that would make the followings work:

update a set b = d where b = c;
delete from a where b = c;
if(SQL%ROWCOUNT > 0) then
 if(*whateverhere*) then
         DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('delete successfully ...' );
  else
         DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('update successfully ...' );
 end if;
end if;

Thanks.