On Sep 9, 11:22 am, Javier Montani <jmont...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Indexes can be created to any of them.
> Using VARCHAR to store dates doesn,t have much sense since you wont be able
> to do any dates calculation.
>
> 2010/9/9 swaroop gowda <swaroop.t...@gmail.com>

Certainly date calculations can be made, presuming the to_date()
function is used with the proper date mask.  The reason some
developers use VARCHAR2 as a date field (in my experience) is they
don't want to write the extra code to handle exceptions or validate
the date string format, thus any valid text string can be input as a
date.  This, of course, leads to inconsistent data in the varchar2
'date' column as a wide range of date formats can end up in that
field.  True, it makes little sense to store dates as strings (if for
no other reason than that demonstrated in my prior post in this
thread) but that doesn't stop some developers from doing it.

David Fitzjarrell