Hello Experts,

I found this group in google while I was searching for how to auto
increment strings with the numbers in it.

I am switching database from access to oracle 11g. I have create all the
required tables, but I am stuck at one point. The previous person who
created access database had auto increment with SG0101, SG0102,........ In
oracle, I know we can auto increment primary keys but only with the numbers
not with characters.

So I have customerid which is a primary key and it automatically increments
the number, but I have one more column with memberid where I am inserting
all the ids that start with SG0101 bla bla.....

I already have 800 member ID's that start with SG, but that value doesnt
automatically increment, because I dont have any sequence or trigger to do
that.

So how do I create a sequence and trigger that will automatically start
value with SG and keeps on auto incrementing?

Here is the table info:

CREATE TABLE  "CUSTOMERS"
   (    "CUSTID" NUMBER,
        "MEMBERID" VARCHAR2(30),
        "FNAME" VARCHAR2(30),
        "MNAME" VARCHAR2(30),
        "LNAME" VARCHAR2(30),
        "CONTACTNAME" VARCHAR2(30),
        "BNAME" VARCHAR2(255),
        "FEDERALID" VARCHAR2(30),
        "BADDRESS" VARCHAR2(255),
        "BCITY" VARCHAR2(30),
        "BSTATE" VARCHAR2(2),
        "BZIPCODE" VARCHAR2(10),
        "MAILADDRESS" VARCHAR2(100),
        "MCITY" VARCHAR2(30),
        "MSTATE" VARCHAR2(2),
        "MZIPCODE" VARCHAR2(10),
        "TELEPHONE" VARCHAR2(13),
        "CELLPHONE" VARCHAR2(13),
        "FAX" VARCHAR2(13),
        "EMAIL" VARCHAR2(75),
        "JOINDATE" TIMESTAMP (6) WITH LOCAL TIME ZONE,
        "STATUS" VARCHAR2(8),
        "ZONE" VARCHAR2(5),
         CONSTRAINT "CUSTOMERS_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("CUSTID") ENABLE

Any help will be appreciate it.