Given a phase, and a table of "like" words, essentially a thesaurus, I'd
like to generate all permutations of the phrase
making use of the thesaurus entries.

I am sure it is possible in an SQL statement as I'd like to avoid PL/SQL if
possible but I am thinking now that a function/pipelined function might be
my only option. Does anyone with better SQL than me know how this can be
done please?

create table word_syn
(value varchar2(30),
 likeness varchar2(30))