Mark Sullivan said:

At the International Orchid Conservation Congress 2004, the congress and the OSG, SSC, IUCN adopted two proposed changes to CITES one of which is that all hybrids be excluded from CITES and CITES Documentation. Am I the only one that thinks the International Orchid Conservation Congress and the OSG have been diverted from their primary focus of orchid conservation? I question what orchid hybrids by any stretch of logic have to do with orchid conservation. I would like to have seen the congress and the OSG adopt proposals to CITES that are more in keeping with their purpose of orchid conservation.

Mark, thats a real no-brainer. A lot of orchid folks who are honest paid-up Republicans with excellent voting records were telling us that this CITES nonsense was making there lifes miserable and stopping them trading and earning an honest days wage. Then, our boys at Agric and Fish reported that they were spending so much time prossesing these CITES papers that they couldnt go about doing there part in the War Against Terror, which is the priority for all of us.

So I told my boys to tell those CITES people that they had better stop actin in such a non-American way and let our orchid folks trade there hybrids freely, just like they could in my Pappy's days. I am mighty relieved that they did what they was told, since Colin said that we couldn't nuke the bastards because Geneva is not part of France, though it all looks like Europe on the map on the Oval Office wall.

I think those CITES people should have done better. Their resolution does not mention the War Against Terror that is the priority for all of us these days. This is not helpful. They had better include it next time.

POTUS