Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:52:34 +0100
From: "Frederick JM Depuydt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [OGD] Re: Excluding hybrids from CITES
Message: 5

Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled about this...does this measure include all orchid hybrids or just
the tropical or the horticultural hybrids? Many native orchid sites I've seen have a
number of natural hybrids, so if I'm not mistaking the poachers get a free ticket for
these plants ? Also what about variations in a species that could misleadingly be used
to call it a hybrid and get it shipped as such ? I thought CITES main goal was to
protect wild plants, but this measure seems to partially step back from this. I'm sure
it'll do the horticultural industry a favour but it seems to erode the fundamental
task of CITES.

greetings from Belgium,
Frederick

Dear Frederick,
just relax.
1) Those CITES dudes wouldn't know a hybrid if they see one. It is all tactics to calm us critics down. Whoever imports hybrids will have to prove that they are hybrids ... and it will be lot of fun if someone (just as the German CITES officials in a case very well-knowm to me) saiy: "Prove it" ... . I would like to be there when Ray Rands enters the country with 3000 Cattleya hybrids and has to proof their provenance at LA airport

2) Of course natural hybrids are not meant by this proposed "amendment" and I have not seen to many people who have succeeded in hybridizing European orchids, and if so, they stopped as there is no market for the critters. IN the last 28 years, I have been asked twice whether such things would be available ... hardly a marketing result to build a business on.
To put it clearly, the hybrids meant by thus proposed amendment ar hybrids that have been obtained through artificial propagation.

take care
Guido
Dr. Guido J. Braem

Dear Mark and Dr. Guido;

Hybrid orchids would do better to be excluded from CITES, because the
general public likes hybrids, bigger flowers, less tempermental (except for
that Irene Dobkins -Phal. Ascda. hybrid I killed), and more vigorous. Once you
get into raising orchids you can delve into pure species collection like I did
with Vandaceous orchids.

Regards,

nancy

Dear Nancy,
of course they should be exempt of CITES ... but what I said is that THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN. Just those bo-brains haven't understood that.
The only good CITES is a dead CITES

Cheers
Guido