on 6/7/04 7:46 PM, Paul wrote:

> I would like to know if anyone has used a solution of
> lime water to water the Paphs/Phrags? I have added
> Lime to the re potting mixture but I feel that it is
> flushed out very quickly.
> If someone has done this, could he/she let me know of
> the amount of Lime /gallon.
> Thanks.   Paul

Hello Paul,
  There are a handful of things you can use that will contribute calcium
gently to your potting mix without having to mix up lime every time you
water, or want to add some with your water. Depending on what is available
to you, crushed coral from ground deposits (not taken from the sea as far as
I know), often found at pet stores, ground oyster shells often found at pet
stores or agriculture stores that supply feed for chickens or pet birds;
crushed limestone that has not been ground and pelletized, and dolomitic
crushed limestone (has calcium and magnesium) or other equal forms of
limestone that are often used in saltwater aquariums. I've used liquid lime
to raise pH in 'soil' type substrates and it is messy; the ground material
can be topdressed, and as long as the water used on the plants isn't too
cold it doesn't break down too fast, like 'pelletized' limestone which has
been pulverized and then stuck together somehow.
hope this helps,
charles
--
Charles Ufford
Calen the Border Collie   CGC - now in Heaven