Dear K Barrett and OGD.
AS I stated in my post before Sophronitis cernura grows near the beach from north of Rio to near Santa Catarina state at elevations as low as 2 meters. Remember girls go to the beach and weat thong bikinis even in the winter so it is warm. The difficult part is that I have seen it also at 400 meters in a low cloud fores and it was 50 degrees and raining. Lower down it grew on naked rough barked trees with extreme humidity. They were in a tidal basin with brackish water troughs running through the entire hammock with bromeliads carpeting what little "dry" land that there was. Up high they are found on less rough tree trunks with heavy moss and other lichen-like things from 2 meters to 4 meters off the ground.
I guess it is hard to know what yours may need if it is collected as there are both locations and everything in between.
To see a photo of S cernua on a tree at low elevations go to http://www.orchidspecies.com/sophronitiscernura.htm
.
Mine is seed grown so I imprinted it early on to the heat.
All other Sophronitis are found at much higher elevations. I saw blooming Soph coccinea at 900 meters in Minas growing rocks with moss Chilly!!!!
go to
http://www.orchidspecies.com/sophcoccinea.htm
To see Soph brevipedunculata bloomin ensitu at 1100 meters on vellozia tree - wicked wind and cold!!!!brrrrrr
go to
http://www.orchidspecies.com/sophbrevipedunculata.htm
That's all I have on Sophronitis, All were taken in May of this year and this is the first that they have been shown.
Enjoy!
Jay Pfahl