on 7/27/04 6:45 PM, Prem wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 01:42:13 -0400
> From: Prem Subrahmanyam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "the OrchidGuide Digest \(OGD\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [OGD] "Stripping" of native orchids

> That's a very good question...as far as I know, the only time that
> there is intervention when it comes to private property in the US is for
> federally listed endangered species...for awhile, Isotria medeoloides
> was put on this list, but it is my understanding that it was moved
> back to "threatened" status.  No other orchid is listed on the endangered
> list federally, although many states list various orchids on their
> own lists, depending on how widespread a particular orchid is in
> their state.  It is my understanding that even the rarest of orchids
> in Florida, such as Polyradicion/Polyrrhiza/Dendrophylax lindenii
> are still collectable on private property.
>

> ---Prem
> www.premdesign.com

Hello,
  I know from reading up on some websites about Isotria medeoloides that in
the state Of Virginia if you have purchased property and are going to do
some building or any such work you must have an inspection done of the land
to see if it has habitat for the Isotria, then another inspection at the
most likely time to spot the plant, to see if it is present. They mention on
their website (the state) that if you want to do something you must be
prepared in advance knowing that you may have to wait awhile until the
inspection is done. I believe that this is a state regulation, and is not
dependent on federal listing. It is still very rare in most states, though I
heard at one time there was a spot in Pennsylvania (don't ask for
directions) where it was quite plentiful. The frustrating thing about that
spot was that it was not too far away from the last spot in NY where it was
found, but doesn't seem to want to stay north of the border! My sister out
west tells me that it is acceptable to take and use some orchids and other
plants from BLM property if it is for medicinal purposes. I guess some would
say that digging up a showy ladyslipper and putting it in their yard was
'helping their depression' or something like that, but the laws are very
different wherever you go. I is fairly odd that paphiopedilums and phrags
are so protected by trade laws, and cypripediums are not as closely watched.
Paphs and phrags are at least more able to survive in other locations,
whereas only a very small percentage of cypripediums will ever survive away
from their original location, making it even more important to keep them
where they are found. They dry out once and they are dead.
charles

waiting for the flowers of spiranthes lacera var lacera to open so I can get
back into the adirondacks and photograph it, but the rain has to stop first!

--
Charles Ufford
Calen the Border Collie   CGC - now in Heaven