Dear Patricia;
    I use formic acid in my Chemistry lab.  It comes in a liquid but I should
think that you would only have to use 1:100 dilution if it's from ants.
Ususally acid comes in about 12 N to 15 N from the supply company. Store the
full strength formic acid in glass container, not plastic, in a well ventilated
area, out of sunlight.
Regards,
nancy
USDA Zone 9b

Coryanthes and formic acid question
When I was at a Colombian orchid grower's nursery they told me they put a
solution of formic acid around the base of their Coryanthes once a month.
The theory was that since in nature they are always found in association
with ants and ants make formic acid it would make sense to give them this.
I have found my Coryanthes wax and wane, being very prone to rot.  I can get
them to bloom, and don't ever seem to have the inflorescence breaking as
described earlier, but also will find a previously healthy plant will go
down hill fast and the only deterrent I have found is to quickly dry them
out, which of course they don't like but it will sometimes stop the rot.
So, a bunch of us got some formic acid.  When they described this in
Colombia, via translators, they said one tsp to the liter.  I envisioned a
powder.  What we have gotten is a liquid, and when you read the accompanying
literature this is really caustic stuff and I wonder about the wisdom of
using it.  The vapors are even supposed to be bad and since I grow in a
greenhouse, though this time of year it is ventilated, 9 months of the year
it's not well ventilated due to heat concerns.
My question, does anybody have any experience with formic acid? Do you have
any advice for us before we go down this path?

Patricia Harding