John Stanley wrote:
I haven't followed the entire colour-printing thread and so my comments may
be rather oblique but it does occur to me that many publications could be
produced with an edition online or on CD-ROM. They could have more colour
illustration at magnifiable resolution than is economic with traditional
methods. Many (?-most) readers could  print off appropriate sections to file
far more compactly than  metres of shelf-space taken up by conventional
journals/magazines.Advertisers could have 'active' publicity that needn't
involve more than mouse-clicks for enquiries! Some articles (keys and
indices for example) could make use of digital technology and open up a
whole new world of innovative publication.
*************************
While it is true that colour printing costs have come down to an extent and
other factors have risen in price (wages, paper and inks) since I was editor
of "Orchids Australia" not so long ago, the idea of electronic publishing has
some flaws.  People seem to think that because a blank disc costs very little
that something published on CD should be cheap.  All the work in preparing a
magazine for example for whatever method of publication is not lessened. Then
after the costs are added in for publishing (disc printing, duplication etc)
it still mounts up.  The one big drawback that I can see with publishing on a
CD is that photographs will not be the same colour when viewed on different
computer monitors, or printed out on paper - due to monitor and printer
manufacturer differences, and personal settings. At least publishing on paper,
everyone gets the same reproduction.

With the help of our printers, "Orchids Australia" is now run on a full colour
printing press which prints the CMYK runs on one pass of the paper through the
press (that's cyan, magenta, yellow and black inks) which has helped reduce
our costs. When I was editor, the layout had to be done in sets of 8 pages,
and half these were printed two-colour because the four-colour process was
just beyond our means.  Now technology has advanced so much it is cheaper to
run on one press.

Colin Hamilton
Webmaster
Australian Orchid Council/"OrchidsAustralia"
Rockhampton, Qld. Australia
www.orchidsaustralia.com