I see my message bounced yesterday for some unknown reason and that Iris already
answered, however I've got a little more input....
_______________________________

The daylength at the equator *regardless* of your height (altitude)  is precisely 12
hours every single day of the year.  Now this holds only directly on the equator.
This is because the light always hits the earth exactly perpindicularly (90 degrees)
at the equator.  As you start going north or south of the equator the divergence from
12 hours gets more and more pronounced as you get further and further away.
Furthermore at the equator the sun rises and sets always in due west and east.  For
the rest of the world all these conditions are fufilled only at the fall and spring
equinox.

Final consequence of this all is there is no "red" shift of the light as fall
approaches.  Sunlight remains at the same temperature all year round.

-Dave

(Graduate student in optics/biophysics)