In a message dated 8/31/04 4:05:46 AM, Roberts Flower Supply writes:
> I would suggest rather than firing your pot over again at 900 F that a soak
> in 20% hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) will kill all your bugs but also
> remove all the salt out of your clay pot.

Sorry to differ with you, and here I think I am on firmer ground than with 8
foot tubes. I used to sterilize all my pots with bleach solution. The past ten
years or so I have been sterilizing the clay pots and metal stakes in the
self cleaning oven, which I believe gets to 700 deg. F.
Sterilizing metal in bleach solution was too corrosive. Unfortunately, high
heat destroys galvanizing and stainless steel rust resistance, but the
alternative is worse.
I found that in a hard water area, the sodium hypochlorite in bleach combined
with calcium in the water to saturate the pot with calcium chloride or
something similar, which is poisonous to plants. It killed the roots wherever they
touched the pot. I may not be exactly right about the chemistry, but I could
see the results. Cleaning the pots in the self cleaning oven is harmless and
efficient. The oven doesn't care in the least.
Iris