They were Australian judges! Get Kevin Hipkins going on their quality some
time. On second thoughts, don't, it is rather depressing how bad some of the
Aussie (and New Zealand) judges are. I feel sorry for poor old Ron. But I
have an AOS tale to tell too, minus the names of the guilty. Whilst judging
in the past year at a local show, as team captain, I had to leave the show
right at the end of the judging tasks to answer a question from my wife.
When I was returning, I was accosted by the Show Chairman and asked "since
when has a Grammatophyllum been in the Dendrobiums". Since never I answered.
Well why did you award it Best Dendrobium then I was asked. I died laughing.
In my absence and no problem numbers wise because we were a team of three
only, my two fellow judges had decided the best of section award. I was
surprised how relatively unembarrassed they were when I changed it to a
Den!!

Andy Easton

.