I do not grow that many Cattleya's, but for the few I do have I have seen the same problem. I found through arbitrary testing on my plants that if I over water the plants while the buds are developing they emerge with no problems, if I underwater they blast, and if I water them as I normally do they do not emerge from the sheath. As a result when I see buds forming in these plants, I increase the watering on the plants.

This is only from testing on about 10 plants. The rest of my Cattleya hybrids do not flower from sheaths or have very small sheaths, and they flower as soon as the growth is mature. I only see it in plants that produce the sheath then wait 4 to 6 months to flower, typically the growth is produced in the summer and matures in the Fall, and flowering is in the Spring.