Martin writes:

Those pesky critters! I used to have them, and slugs as well, but now they seem to have disappeared and I really don't know why.

<snip>

When this thread was re-opened I decided to scout again. No slugs or bush snails on 40 potato slices!!! I still have a bottle of unused caffeine solution.

It's a matter of _intent,_ Martin!   ;-)

Once your local gang of molluscs find out you've really got the means to nuke them to the last degree, in the depths of the night they confer and concur, (without your knowledge or permission) "OK, we'll go."

We mentally threaten to really throw out that 'valuable' plant which hasn't flowered for the last decade, and lo and behold, it sprouts a host of buds...

And when, thru personal growth or true serendipity we at last acquire the emotional skills to deal harmoniously with a certain class of nasty person, they disappear forever from our lives!

Very frustrating.

It's enough to make a gentleman drop his handful of mashed potatoes.

Enough already
Dave
-