With regard to my source of information  about orchid species extinction
[Peter O'Byrne, OGD V6 #423 Message 6], it is  based on facts we all know.  If
orchid fanciers find a given orchid species  of interest, entrepreneurs will
propagate it artificially until all  desires are fulfilled.
     My comments to the OGD are usually as  terse as I can manage.  It is
conceivable that a given orchid species would  have a habitat unusual enough to
make artificial propagation difficult, but  under such circumstances,
collectors are unlikely to bother stripping it  from a limited habitat.  If an orchid
is too uninteresting to prompt  artificial propagation, presumably it likewise
won't be stripped from its  habitat.  If I chose to be more precise, I might
have put it that no  orchid species is truly in danger of being rendered
extinct by overcollection,  even if its natural habitat is stripped, unless
counterproductive  restrictions such as CITES interfere with its artificial
propagation.  Would you agree, Peter?
    With regard to considering the aggressive  posture of USF&WL as the
source of Norris' problems rather than a routine  computer traffic monitor, I am
suspicious if only for the situation involving  Pepe Portilla a couple of years
ago.  The scuttlebutt is that a  USF&WL agent ordered 10 cycads of a variant
of a Peruvian cycad that grows  in Columbia.  Pepe supplied the requested
plants with CITES covering the  Peruvian variant, was nabbed in California and his
life made  miserable.  This same USF&WL agent was caught trespassing Andy
Phillips' nursery in California and, as told by Andy, was persuaded to  leave by
means of a 2 x 4 piece of lumber.  If the damage to Norris was  truly done by
a computer traffic monitor, are any of us safe?
    My sense of fairness is particularly  offended by attempts to tar the
consciencious Miami Ag Inspection Facility with  the same brush more
appropriately reserved for the USF&WL agency  and its handmaiden, the CITES convention.

          Bert  Pressman