Hi Sandy,
Do visit the large vegetable and plants market close to the bus station at
Funchal. They have a reasonable selection of species and hybrids, but do not
expect to see something "local" there, mostly cymbidium hybrids (very popular
in Madeira), some tissue culture flasks and some paphs. De not expect cheaper
prices because of the Portugese connection, I found orchids there as
expensive as in Germany.
Regards,
Jean