Les & Ann, you are on the right track.  Sarc hartmannii x hartmannii remains a
species, as does Soph coccinea x coccinea. Any species crossed with itself or two
different clones of the SAME species are mated, continue to be species. One may
question this to remain so when you look at the difference in flower quality in Odm
crispum of today and a plant from the wild. The genuine plant from the wild is one of
the worst flowers you could see for an Odont whereas the clones of today have the
equal or better shape than some of the best hybrids.
This of course is done by selective breeding over a long period of time.
As suggested by many, ' we are improving on nature rather than wait for nature to do
it.'  I always ask how far we can go before we have actually created a hybrid?
ROY