Sue Golan in Chicago asked:
I've just purchased two Eriopsis (Eriopses?) and would appreciate some
guidance re their culture.   They are biloba and psentrum and I have a vague
remembrance of bilobas that I killed in my Orchid past.   I have never seen psentrum
and am about to research it. I have a greenhouse with intermediate and cool
conditions.   Thanks in advance ---

Sue,
Did you mean E. "sceptrum," rather than "psentrum?"

I saw Eriopsis biloba Lindley growing as a terrestrial in full sun, in very sandy,
well-draining savannah soils in the Gran Sabana of SE Venezuela. For a photo of the
very colorful flowers, see http://www.autrevie.com/Articles/SWROGA_GS1.html
It seemed to be able to tolerate both warm temps and zero shade, baking in the sun.
Nights were cooler, with some dew in the mornings. Based on what I saw, I would not
classify it as a cool-growing species. However, I realize that there might be many
different populations, since E. biloba is found in many countries. The inflorescences
of E. biloba were tall and upright, not arching, as depicted in Jean Jules Linden's
Pescatorea, 1860: http://www.autrevie.com/Images/Eriopsis_biloba_Linden1860.jpg

See Dunsterville & Garay Vol. 3, pp. 126-129 for a more detailed discussion of these
species.
I found an interesting reference to the pharmacological use of E. sceptrum in an Acta
Pharmacologica Sinica paper by KONG Jin-Ming, GOH Ngoh-Khang, CHIA Lian-Sai, CHIA
Tet-Fatt, "Recent advances in traditional plant drugs and orchids."

Amongst the Indians of the Rio Apaporis, the basal stems of this clumped epiphyte are
boiled in water to extract the copious mucilage which is applied to sores of the gums
and mucous membranes of the mouth for relief from discomfort. This orchid is
abundantly supplied with mucilage which swells upon uptake of water. The Makuna name
means "mouth herb."

Nina Rach, Houston