From time to time I have heard that orchids of the epiphytic type grow better in clay pots that are unglazed on the inside.

Is there anything to this or is it just another urban legend?

I have made a few hand made pots on the potters wheel for the annual Club Mud Pottery Sale at the College of Marin next week end and I left the insides unglazed while the outsides are glazed. I like to punch holes on the wet clay for hanger wires and a bamboo skewer or chopstick to go across the top of the media to hold down the plant so it can't fall out of the pot.
Lots of other pottery there too.
--
From Fred Paget, Marin County, California, USA