I asked a bit ago if Gavino Rotor's work still stood and found the following link to an abstract of his work: http://www.botany.org/ajb/00029122_di001489.html Its way down the page, so you'll have to scroll.

The part I'm interested in is the last two sentences.

"No relation was established between the length of the pseudo-bulb or the stage of leaf development and flower bud initiation. Observations made indicate a relationship of flower bud initiation with day-length."

Rotor spends much more time in the article on the relationship between day length and bud initiation than this abstract leads us to believe. Rotor refers to the tendency of labiata to make up a pseudobulb and wait for a proper annual cumulative amount of light to occur (he even provides dates at which the proper cumulative amounts have been received). And that if the plant hasn't received that amount of light it will lay up until it has been received.

So.

Does this work still stand?  Has it been shot down by more recent work?

K Barrett
N Calif, USA