Title: Intellectual Property and Science
Scientific progress is dependent on the open and free exchange of information.  In the years before the electronic revolution this meant publishing in written journals.  This is an expensive undertaking and obviously the publisher has a right to recoup his costs and to make a profit.  Scientists are generally not paid (given money) for their contributions but gain prestige which can lead to increased income.  It is clearly in the best interests of the scientists, the field in which they work and eventually the public to have their work disseminated as widely as possible.  With modern electronic technology (primarily the Internet) it is possible to do this more rapidly and at a lower cost than with the traditional print methods.

It is not in the best interests of print publishers who make money from their efforts.  I note that the Diredctor of the NIH has proposed a freely accessible literature archive for papers resulting from NIH funding.  This, predictably, is opposed by many scientific publishers.

I believe that systems will evolve which will result in most scientific papers appearing on the web, perhaps after a waiting period.  Perhaps text books, too.

Regarding the protection of intellectual property, the pirating of music, movies and software is BIG business.  I suspect that the push to have other countries adopt our intellectual property laws is driven by the size of the sales lost, which must be several orders of magnitude greater than the dollars involved in scientific publication.  Without this motivation I doubt that the US government would make a big deal regarding scientific intellectual property rights.

Am I getting to be too cynical?

Martin Epstein