Julie,

1. I was worried this might come up. I don't typically try to misuse color form
nomenclature, but I figured this is probably what you meant. This is probably
the closest thing to a true albino form of the plant. Alba/Album does imply
that the flower is entirely white, with no kerotine pigments as well. However,
because there are no rules to regulate the use and employ of forms, people can
take an entirely black plant, and dub it var. alba/album. It would be more
appropriate to say the flower is Papilio forma luteum, Papilio forma flavum, or
Papilio forma aureum. I actually cannot say as to it being aureum/aurea etc.,
becuase I do not know if it is spoken as a masculine or feminine genus. Once
again, I will quote the brilliant Dr.Guido Braem: "I insist that the people who
do not apply 'alba' to pure white are dumb! I cannot change anything about the
rules (or about the fact that there are no rules) but I insist on pointing out
that this is not an excuse to be illogical." I would interpret him to mean that
those who use it on anything other than pure white, are dumb, which he implied
earlier when referring to Paphiopedilum haynaldianum f. album, which is almost
entirely green.

2. Sure. This is a common reason for leaves to drop. Too many chlorophylls die,
or the stomata are clogged, or any number of reasons which results in the plant
leaf dropping in efficiency. I will typically use a little bit of dish soap
with my chemicals that need surfactants, that way I usually end up doing a
little good for the plant.

Steve Topletz