Marianne F., Harvey B. and Peter C.,

I'm with you. I'm very happy to be a US citizen (my license plate says IM4 USA), but I also consider myself to be a citizen of the world. I think some of us "Americans" are a bit too isolated -- we don't even acknowledge that to be American could also be Canadian, Mexican, Peruvian, etc. We are rightly outraged about 9/11 (thank you, the rest of the world, for your support and condolences after that tragic event), but we don't get outraged at what we are doing to the tens of thousands of innocent civilians in a war that was started under false pretenses.

None of us are perfect -- we all make mistakes. Maybe we say things we shouldn't sometimes. That's all quite human. However, anyone who must frequently resort to name-calling and denigration of character, runs the risk of being lowered in the opinions of others. Disagreement is good. Name calling is not.

Orchids are the tie that bind us together. One of the things that has astonished, and encouraged me with regard to this list, is the fact that I read notes from people from all over the world. And you all speak my language! I'm not talking about English, though that certainly helps me, but I'm talking about the language of orchids.

Let's keep talking this language, please. I'm on this list because I want to learn more about orchids.
Dot