Dear Dennis,

Thank you for your message on the matter.  I almost meant to write one myself, but yours comes across much clearer!

What still surprises me is how people are using "religion" to further their own ends.  I would greatly appreciate it if people who do lip service to their religions would deepen their knowledge through study and thinking.

The Old Testament was never meant to be taken literally.  It was a collection of myths, history, sanitary advice, and record of life of the wandering Jews in the Middle East.  Christ gave the world the New Testament to replace the Old.  He wanted to put emphasis on love, empathy, and forgiveness.  The Old Testament is only meant for symbolic interpretation.  This new round of fundamentalist thinking based on the fanatical and literal interpretation of the Old Testament is really frightening, as it is diametrically opposed to Christian beliefs.  At the moment, we have an uncannily large population of people who think they are believers of their religions without knowing the basics of their religions at all. (This goes for more than just "Christians".)  If Christ or Allah would know just how ignorant their current followers are... they would be frightened out of their wits.

Darwin's theory on Evolution exists perfectly fine with the Christian God (and many other gods, too).  This fresh attack against evolution in the name of Christ is a lot of igorance mobilized for political "capital".

Thanks again for clearing up the issue.

;)

Marianne

PS - I think evolutionis absolutely relavent on an orchid forum: orchids are one of the best examples of the mechanics of evolution, and to refute evolution would be to throw into irrational chaos the entire family (it took long enough to sort them out!).