Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 3:46 PM
Subject: [OGD] Re: Water Quality

In a message dated 12/13/04 12:18:18 AM, Sharon Williams writes:
Would putting the water through a Brita type filter remove enough of the acid? Short of melting snow or buying water (would much rather put the $ into plants!), this is my best source for 'pure' water. Perhaps my tap water left to sit would be the best alternative, even though it is very hard and the ph needs to be lowered.

The household water filters like Brita remove particles, such as dust, pollen, and bacteria (and those copepods that have the ultra-Orthodox in NYC in a tizzy). As far as I know, they do not remove dissolved salts or chemicals. Letting your tapwater sit might improve the pH, due to dissolved air, but it will not remove any dissolved salts. Do you or any of your friends have a dehumidifier in the basement? That is the cheapest & easiest source of essentially distilled water. If you live in a private house, install a rainbarrel and store the water during the warmer months. When you absolutely have to use tap water, run it as hot as possible & fill up a bucket with hot water, then let it cool. Calcium dissolves better in cold water, so hot water will have less of it. That's why you get boiler scale in your teakettle.
Iris

I am not fat. I need repotting.