Hi Peter

From your email below I take it then the photo by Cribb of D schulleri as reproduced in De Vogels CD 'Orchids of New Guinea Vol 2' should be treated with scepticism ?

regards

Steven Kami

Message: 1 Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:05:41 +0800 From: Peter O'Byrne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [OGD] more on Dendrobium schulleri To: orchids@orchidguide.com Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII

In OGD V7 #27, I replied to Scott Trainor's query about D. schulleri.

I've now had time to search through more journals, and found the
following comment in Phil Cribb's Revision of Dendrobium section
Spatulata (Kew Bull. 41(3): 615-692 (1986):

"The only localised collection of D. schulleri I have seen (Ebert,
without number) was from Noemfoor Island on the N.E. coast of the
Vogelkop Peninsula. Van Bodegom (1973) reports it also from the
islands of Waigeo and Salawati, and from near Sorong and Teminaboean
on the Vogelkop Peninsula. I have seen many plants in living
collections misidentified as D. schulleri, most being, in fact, D.
mirbelianum."

By "localised collection", Phil means wild-collected as opposed to
ex-horticulture. So the total number of authenticated collections from
the wild is precisely one; Ebert's from Noemfoor Island. All the other
collections are either of unknown origin (always suspicious) or are
not D. schulleri.

The Vogelkop (Bird's Head) Peninsula is a 400 x 200 km peninsula at
the extreme north-west of the island of New Guinea. The northern part
is steeply mountainous and the southern half is swampland. Mostly
uninhabited, it has been closed to outsiders for longer than I can
remember; even scientific visits by recognised institutions are
strictly controlled. I've spoken to a couple of scientists who have
been lucky enough to get permission to visit, and they've described it
as an orchid wonderland, particularly up in the mountainous areas
where the only access is by helicopter. Most of the peninsula is
gazetted as forest reserve, although parts have higher status such as
National Park. Salawati Island is almost attached to the western tip
of the Vogelkop; the whole island is a designated Nature Reserve.
Waigeo Island lies just north of the Vogelkop; it has also been
designated as an Island Reserve.

It is quite possible that a trickle of genuine D. schulleri has been
reaching the outside world from these supposedly-protected locations,
but anyone who has been collecting D. schulleri here would have had to
keep very quiet about it. Consequently, any plants they sold would be
without provenance, and the lack of provenance would totally devalue
them because of the impossibility of distinguishing them from the
hybrid "D. schulleri" that abound in horticulture. In short, these
plants would have no special value because you'd never know if you had
a hybrid or the true species.

So if you see a photo of "D. schulleri" in a book or on a website,
treat it with healthy scepticism. Given the chance I'd ask the author
"how do you know it's a real D. schulleri ?", but I wouldn't hold my
breath while waiting for an answer.

Cheers,

Peter O'Byrne
Singapore