Steve, Neville, et al;
I will admit to seeing this whole arguement a little late but I do have a
point. What occurs if one of these "Natural Hybrids" upon reaching maturity
and flowering manages to cross itself back to either of the natural
parents? What happens if that occurs a couple of times? To explain better
lets say Sp 'A' & Sp 'B' produce a natural hybrid 'AB'. 'AB' then manages
to cross itself back to 'A' producing 'AAB'. 'AAB' then manages to cross
itself back to 'B' or 'A' or indeed even 'C' if you are really unlucky!!
Couldn't that hybrid, if it has departed far enough away from original
parents, be misidentified as a species in its own right?

Lets do a bit of a cse study on Aust Natives. Den. Tarberri crossed with
Den. Rex. You will notice I am using new naming as that really does suit my
purpose (it shows how ridiculous it is!!) You now have an interspecies
cross by modern standards. Now cross the progeny back to Den. Tarberri.
Now, depending on the outcome (cane size etc), try and prove it isn't
straight Tarberri or Rex. Now cross that hybrid with Den. Kingianum. You'll
have a natural hybrid called specio-kingianum but it's actually made up of
3 species. Just food for thought. Have fun!!
Regards
Paul Wheeler