Hi Tom. Well stated.
Point taken on the conditions also.
Thanks.
Ron boyd

Tom Franczak said.

Jim Pupelis, a well-known paph grower in the Chicago area some 10 to 15 years ago, potted out a flask of roths. The most precocious of the seedlings bloomed 3 1/2 years later. Jum gave it the clonal name "Three and a half" and it remains a conversation item to this day. I traded for a sib from that flask, to which I suppose I could have given the clonal name "Eight" for similar reasons but I didn't.

Jim's growing area was much envied, perhaps even more than his outstanding collection of fine clones. He grew under a set of ceiling mounted 400W sodium vapor HID's, had walls and ceiling painted white and sealed against the 85% humidity, had numerous fans always operating, and vents to insure access to cool night air ... it was sweet.

The longer I'm part of this hobby, the more convinced I am that virtually all the characteristics we consider desirable in an orchid, whether floriferousness, rapid maturity to blooming size, and even including that catch-all we refer to as flower "quality," are highly correlated to culture. Not to discount the benefits of line breeding ... just look at what Rex x Mt. Milais has accomplished ... but the effects of good culture can be amazing.

Tom Franczak