In a message dated 2/28/05 6:04:08 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I live farther north in New York State than Iris, near the Canadian border.  I do not have a greenhouse, and do have very low humidty in the house.  Orchids in plastic pots will not survive for me as they stay too wet, and the roots rot.

Are you sure St. Lawrence County is in New York State? I thought it was part of the Yukon. ;-)
Live and learn. Your growing conditions are indeed different. But I'm still certain you wouldn't put a group of pots on a tray of damp pebbles. Especially Cattleyas & Oncidiums in clay pots, where the constant moisture wicking up through the clay would create a serious problem.
Iris