Paphiopedilum are C3 plants, and they can certainly open and
close their stomata, I have scientific journals to back this up. All plants
can have their stomata open, but there are plants that can become
physiologically confused, and forget how to close them.
This is what often happens to deflasked plants trying to acclimatize.
I do not believe there are any plant types that cannot naturally close their
stomates unless there is some irregularity. There would be no reason
to have stomates if they could not regulate them. Being that there is an
exception to every rule, there might be some. However being that we have
not heard of it, it is either amazingly rare or does not exist. I challenge
everyone to investigate this myth. I will have a definite answer to this
question within a week.

Steve Toplez
Nascent Orchids

Karen> I believe there are orchid of all types , some open and close the
Karen> stomata, while others remain open (aint this type called C3 and
Karen> considered the more primitive form?). It all depends on the habitat
Karen> the orchid species evolved for, general rule as I remember it is that
Karen> thick leaved types are more like to have evolved into CAM type of
Karen> plants.

Karen> Rgrds/ Karen

>> This is faulty information. Orchids can open and close stomata

Karen> the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
Karen> orchids@orchidguide.com