Justin,
You don't have much choice. Unless the procedure has changed, you are
"assigned" a guide at Park Headquarters where you have to report before
climbing up the mountain. In principle you are not allowed to take
another route than the prescribed one (so you don't need a guide at
all, you only need one for the final ascend which can be tricky in the
dark at 03.00 AM. I myself went up to 3300 meter the second time just
by myself). Of course it would be interesting if you could have
somebody with you who nows where on the trail you can see most orchids.
I suggest to contact Park Office in KK or one of the local travel
agencies (I can give you at least one lead if you want).
Regards,
Jean