Viateur wrote :
Message: 8
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:11:25 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>As a reminder, the 10th WOC was held in Durban, South Africa, in 1981,
>with 1126 participants from 32 countries. Of course, that did not
>disqualify South Africa from possibly hosting another WOC, 30 years >later.

>If commercial interests would have prevailed, I presume that Taiwan >would
have had a chance.

Viateur,
I am in sympathy with you for the Taiwanese. I am sure that they would have
put on a wonderful Show.

As for the 10th WOC I was on the organising committee. My portfolio was the
judging. At the time of the 10th WOC South Africa was just starting to break
free from (but was still under Apartheid) and a lot of good folk would not
attend on principle - hence the small number of people. Of those members of
the organising committee who are still alive today, only two of us still
grow orchids (Carmen Coll and myself). The others have either died or no
longer grow orchids for some reason or the other.
As a member of the organising committee I went on promotional tours
including to Taiwan and was amazed at the kind hospitality that greeted my
wife and me. But I think Taiwan faces the same political prejuidice as we
did back in 1981 i.e. overshadowed by mainland China.
Not withstanding the above, I think that Singapore will put on a very good
Show and I wish them every success and all who attend a most enjoyable
Conference and Show.
Keep well and kind regards
Mike