Occasionally, to get a rough idea of humidity in my small (read: I would dent the walls if I were to swing things around my head!) growing area, I tilt my small floor fan to a horizontal position and then put my thermometer face down on the gril. Then I start to  check e-mail. Half-way through, I record the temperature reading and then tear off the corner of a tissue (Kleenex), dampen it with water and place it on the thermometer bulb, and place it back on the fan. (The wet tissue sticks really well!) After I have finished reading my mail, I take another reading and use the temp differential and a web page such as this http://members.nuvox.net/~on.jwclymer/wet.html to get a rough guage of humidity. Works for me as a ballpark guestimate.