on 4/13/05 1:04 AM, Mark wrote:

> This brings up a question which I may have already answered above
> (light), but I don't know for sure. What is the trigger that causes
> auxin to know if it is in a root to grow downward with the pull of
> gravity? Is is lack of light or the presence of some root cells? Light
> causes new growth to grow upward, but does less light with gravitational
> pull cause roots to grow downward? With epiphytes root growth maybe
> dictated by contact with a surface or otherwise light?
>
> Mark Sullivan

Hello Mark,
  I remember a little from plant phys class that some plants (can't say all
as I don't know if is the case) have something like crystals or some other
solid structure that is inside certain cells. Can't remember if they are
free-floating or attached. Where these 'objects' cause pressure on part of
the cell insides due to gravity that is 'down', and if the cells are
designed to grow down they follow the signal and if they are to go up, they
go opposite the pressure in the cell. Hope someone has a better explanation
than that!

charles
--
Charles Ufford
Calen the Border Collie   CGC - now in Heaven