Dear Folks,

what Peter Croezen has been saying is fully correct. Seedlings of Phragmipedium in flasks (= in vitro) are legal, no matter where the parents come from, no matter where, by whom and from whom they were purchased or obtained. They can be marketed without restriction in any given country and from any given country to any other given country, at any time. CITES simply does not apply (and Peter has given you the text to prove it).
Thus the paper signed by Jerry Fischer or anyone else agreeing to hold the seedlings for "x" time is worthless, meaningless etc. (and I want to see anyone spend money enforcing a worthless piece of paper).

Of course mature plants are in the USA and in Europe. However, the great numbers that have been said to have reached Europe in the past are wrong. Of course I will not disclose any details, but there are "some" adult plants in various countries in Europe (as there are in the USA and Canada). The "release" of the seedlings with the INRENA papers is good and amusing.
Good because now anyone can have his seedlings surface without having to admit that he/she has/had adult plants. And I would think that this will happen within the next 2 years.
Amusing because the price will of course go tumbling down. The story of the besseae plants will repeat itself ... I remember the first plants of besseae coming into Germany and being sold for 2500 DM, then they soon went down to 250 DM and lower.

And I am very curious when the first hybrids will show up ...... And lets see who will have them surface.

Jerry Fischer wrote:

I think the best way the kovachii problem can be resolved is if all of the
plants are tracked for 6 or 7 years.
That is already impossible as there is no way to trace the adult plants that are now in the various countries and that are, of course illegal. No one will admit to having any of those and thus, the fairy tail of tracking all plants for a number of years is an illusion. Furthermore, I don't know too many commercial growers who are willing to disclose the source of their plants. And why should they? All seedlings obtained in vitro are legal . It suffices to get one flask with a receipt, wait long enough and you have legal flowering plants. As long as you can claim that they are from the flask, you can sell them legally in your country ....

What is the moral of the story: You can't keep any plant off the market with any law, regulation, agreement, or whatever.

regards
Guido

--
Prof. Dr. Guido J. Braem