Nono, the regulation comes from the interpretion by the US *government* - the OMA and the USFWS hold that the seeds have to collected legally in order for the flasks to be legal. For example, this policy has added to the US hobbyist's frustration at getting many of the new Paph species from Viet Nam. AFAIK other countries do not share this interpretation, as the EU does not, and these plants are readily sold, hybridized etc. That is why Jerry's flasks are a good thing to have. His flasks are documented, legally collected parentage and therefore Roddy Gabel (in this month's 'Orchids') says they 'appear' to be legal. Note the bureaucrat's habit of using a word with many shades of gray. Heaven forbid they should ever say something you could hang your hat on.

On a different topic, I was amazed at the low cost for the flasks. I was envisioning that they'd be released at some thousands of dollars per flask. Times have changed! I remember stories of people paying hundreds or thousands for a cymbidium back bulb or a piece of a cattleya.

K Barrett
N Calif, USA

please re-read the passage of the CITES regulations Peter (Croezen) posted on this forum. Please point out to us where it says that seedlings in vitro produced from "illegal" parents would not be freely tradable. Although I admit, that English is not my native tongue, I like to believe that my knowledge on the English language is sufficient to be able to note that no such restriction was sighted by me ... but maybe your eyesight is better than mine.

regards
Guido