That said, let me try to explain the CBR, CHM, CBM issue as well as another issues raised in the thread.

The CBM is an old award used to be granted by the AOS. Its full name was Certificate of Botanical Merit, the criteria for granting it combined both the criteria of rarity and educational value as well as horticultural merit. The problems caused by the interpretation of the criteria (problems that still exist) had the effect that the effect that in the Mid 70's the judging powers that be set up 2 awards derived from the CBM:

The CBR or Certificate of Botanical Recognition  that is granted  by the affirmative vote of a percentage of the judging team WITHOUT point scoring. The award basically recognizes that the species is rare and has educational value.

Ah Peter, you say what freaking judging system can consider Acriopsis liliifolia (J.König) Seidenf., Opera Bot. 124: 58 (1995). as rare as you ascertain it grows like a weed?

 Here, my friend the issue is how you define what is rare. I don't have to be a statistician to say that in most AMERICAN judging systems Acriopsis liliifolia would indeed be rare given its distribution: Sikkim to NW. Pacific  [40 EHM 41 CBD LAO MYA THA VIE 42 BOR JAW LSI MLY MOL PHI SUL SUM 43 NWG SOL 50 QLD 62 CRL] (Note: my apologies for not translating the distribution codes). And if we were talking about Acriopsis liliifolia var. auriculata (Minderh. & de Vogel) J.J.Wood, Orchids Sarawak: 120 (2001). the distribution is even narrower  Indo-China to W. Malesia [41 MYA VIE 42 BOR JAW MLY SUM]

 It will be also rare given its "history":  Originally described as  Epidendrum liliifolium J.König in A.J.Retzius, Observ. Bot. 6: 61 (1791). it was only placed in its correct place as Acriopsis liliifolia 204 years latter in 1995 : plant is known by its accepted name a measly 10 years with variety auriculata known about 5 years ago.

If one check the synonyms :  Acriopsis javanica Reinw. ex Blume, Bijdr.: 377 (1825). Spathoglottis trivalvis Lindl., Gen. Sp. Orchid. Pl.: 120 (1831). Acriopsis picta Lindl., Edwards's Bot. Reg. 29(Misc.): 69 (1843). Acriopsis griffithii Rchb., Bonplandia 2: 92 (1854). Acriopsis nelsoniana F.M.Bailey, Queensland Agric. J. 3: 160 (1898). Acriopsis papuana Kraenzl. ex K.Schum. & Lauterb., Fl. Schutzgeb. Südsee: 250 (1900). Acriopsis sumatrana Schltr., Oesterr. Bot. Z. 50: 249 (1900). Acriopsis philippinensis Ames, Orchidaceae 2: 215 (1908).  Acriopsis annamica Finet, Notul. Syst. (Paris) 2: 25 (1911). Acriopsis floribunda Ames, Orchidaceae 6: 306 (1920). Acriopsis insulari-silvatica Fukuy., Trans. Nat. Hist. Soc. Taiwan 28: 3 (1938). Acriopsis harae Tuyama, J. Jap. Bot. 39: 129 (1964). Acriopsis javanica var. floribunda (Ames) Minderh. & de Vogel, Orchid Monogr. 1: 13 (1986). we are  speaking also of "old and not widely known names".

It is if I were to bring to your neck of the  woods Pleurothallis aristata, chances are it would be rare there  , not because the species is rare perse but, because your judges  ( as well as judges in other systems) are not taxonomists and are not expected to know and or see every species in the genus Pleurothallis, Acriopsis or whatever.

So the award is is kind of a recognition that the plant exists and was brought for judging and that the team considered it notable.

2- The CHM, the Certificate of Horticultural Merit  is point scored. Lets say that although I find Andy's assertion that is given to a plant you mow around , not over it funny I  cannot agree with wholeheartedly: the CHM carries the connotation that the plant has desirable qualities for hybridizing and/or it is being evaluated in recognition that other clones of the  may be presented for judging ( including a second showing of another flowering of the clone granted the CHM) setting a preliminary standard to which those other flowering can be considered in the event they are nominated for a Flower Quality award.

Yes in the AOS systems species have been evaluated for flower quality  in their first try at a judging table.... Paphiopedilum armeniacum 'First Son' FCC/AOS  comes to mind.  I cannot say because of it  but after that FCC many stunning species went the CHM route before another cultivar being granted the flower quality award. Masdevallia decumeana is one of them ( As a mater of fact the plant that was granted the CHM was selected by the AOS to be the Best Pleurothallid exhibited that year over plants that had been granted flower quality awards.) This  CHM before flower quality award seems to be the preferred way in the AOS system now.

So, I hope I have been of help in clearing the issue.

In friendship

Jose

PS Because a plant is weedy and common that doesn't mean it has been shown for or granted an award. To wit: Arundina gramminifolia  a weedy species, landscaping-pot-plant per excellence ... yet the first award granted to an Arundina gramminifolia was a CCM ( a growers , not plant award) some 4 years ago and a CHM granted to an alba form last year.  Judges cannot judge what they are not shown. :)

Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!