There are various brands of LECA out there that wick as well as pumice, but
perform better in terms of maximizing the air flow to the root system.
That is controlled not only by the space between particles, but the surface
porosity of the medium as well.

Look at it this way: the coarse surface porosity of the pumice I've seen
(very like that on lava rock), tends to hold "droplets" of water right at
the surface.  When two pieces are in close proximity, their droplets can
bridge the gap between them, which effectively makes the free air space
smaller.

A good quality LECA, on the other hand, does not have the coarse surface
porosity (they have extrememly fine pores at the surface), so the bridging
is less prominent.

The space between particles is also usually improved with LECA, as they are
manufactured to be uniform in size and more-or-less spherical, which is the
best you can do.  With pumice, unless you're lucky enough to hand-pick the
particles, the packing can be denser, hence less open to air flow.

--  Ray @ First Rays Orchids